Host a Camp
Apply for a Manufacturing Camp Grant
Manufacturing Camp Grant Awards
Since 2003, FMA’s foundation, Nuts, Bolts & Thingamajigs, has awarded grants annually to trade schools and community or technical colleges capable of hosting a summer camp program for girls and/or boys ages 12-16. Summer camps have been a successful way of introducing middle- and high-school students to the fascinating, high-tech career choices available to them in today’s automated manufacturing industry.
The following tiered-grant award structure applies:
- First-year award: $2,500
- Second-year award: $1,500
- Third-year award: $ 1,000
Previous camp grant award winners FROM ANY YEAR are eligible to apply at the second-year award level. After a third-year award is received, applicants will be eligible to apply as an affiliate camp and continue to receive marketing and program support materials.
See NBT’s Camp Objectives & Learning Activities for what schools should know before applying.
To apply, schools must:
- Currently offer a manufacturing-focused curricula, certificate, or degree program (i.e., any industrial technology program that prepares students for careers in a manufacturing environment)
- Currently offer or be capable of offering courses relevant to business entrepreneurship.
- Submit an online application and agree to NBT camp guidelines.
General Program Guidelines for Grant Winners
To qualify as an NBT grant recipient or affiliate camp, schools must agree to:
- Utilize NBT-branded curriculum guide and marketing materials (to be provided by NBT).
- Promote NBT on the college website (logos to be provided).
- Charge a minimum $59 camp tuition fee per student.
- Recruit and register a minimum of 12 students per camp.
- Schedule a minimum of 25 hours for a one-week camp or 45 hours for a two-week camp.
- Include the design and manufacturing of a hands-on, take-home project.
- Include guest speakers from the local manufacturing industry.
- Include tours of local manufacturing operations.
- Administer NBT pre- and post-camp online surveys to camp participants.
- Submit to NBT all requested pre- and post-camp materials by the established due dates (i.e., grant acceptance, marketing data, photo release, final evaluation, and financial data forms) or risk forfeiting the award.